MEMORIALS FOR PEACE                   SUPPORT                                 | HOME | PEACE | WAR | CEMETERIES | REFLECTIONS |

Temple of Peace, originally the Temple of Peace and Health, is a non-religious civic building.

Opened on 23 November 1938 it was a gift from Lord David Davies to the Welsh people. He wanted it to be “a memorial to those gallant men from all nations who gave their lives in the war that was to end war”. it was dedicated to the memory of the loss of life as a result of the 1914 - 1918 War and book of Remembrance can be seen in its vaults

David Davies had fought in the trenches during this war, and was actively involved in the search for stable international order through the League of Nations and the League of Nations Union. He wanted to see the establishment of a strong International Police force so that international agreement and peace could be obtained. Until shortly before he died in 1944, he continued stressing “the vital importance of arousing our people to the need for an International Authority”.

Through the building David Davies wanted to combine the ideals of peace and health and wanted these two humanitarian causes to be expressed in the design of the building. The Temple is made from materials from various countries, to emphasise the international nature of the work carried out inside.

:: comentary

 

 | close by  UK wide index

Peace Pledge Union, 1 Peace Passage, London N7 0BT. Tel +44 (0)20 7424 9444   contact     |   where to find us