Support for Local Campaigns
The PPU is proud to support members and local peace campaigners taking nonviolent action in their own lives and communities.
We can provide local groups, members and allies with:
- Campaigning materials such as leaflets, posters and postcards, for use in particular contexts, such as on Armed Forces Day or in resisting a military presence in universities.
- Speakers for your local group, trade union branch, university, faith group or other organisation.
- In-person and online training events.
- A system whereby local groups - whether organised peace groups or more informal groups focused on a particular issue - can register their link with the Peace Pledge Union. We will publish information on these groups, their campaigns and events on our website.
Recent campaigns we have supported include:
- Resistance by a coalition of groups, including Quakers, Campaign Against the Arms Trade and Stop the War Coalition, under the banner of ‘Stop Telford’s Arms Fair’ to contest SDSC Arms’ Fair. We continue to work with these groups to protest the event which is being held again in November 2023.
- Protests by peace campaigners, including Cornwall Quakers and Cornwall Resists, against Armed Forces Day in Falmouth in June 2023.
- Ongoing work with peace campaigners and local groups in Wales to contest militarism, including by writing a report with Cymdeithas y Cymod and Forces Watch on military involvement in Welsh schools.
- Work by Leicester for Peace to encourage a change in policy from the local authority, which means the armed forces are no longer allowed to invite children to handle weapons at their events in the city.